If your work as a web designer you are suddenly in a project with SharePoint, you need to understand how it works. To do this you must know the architecture of WSS 3.0 and the concept of collaboration. Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 provides the platform and collaboration features necessary for SharePoint products. WSS 3.0 architecture is composed as follows:
Operating System Services.
Windows Server Operative System, versions 2003 and 2008, provides the operating system and basic network services for the SharePoint products work. These services can include: Active Directory (for user accounts), SQL Services (Database), Windows Search, .NET Framework 3.0 (development platform that contains ASP.NET and Windows Workflow Foundation), IIS (Internet services), and SMTP Server (for email).
WSS 3.0 Foundation Services.
The general services that the platform offers are:
- Storage – Security – Management – Deployment – Site Model – Extensibility
- It provides a central repository to store information with their respective metadata and in multiple formats. Containers can be lists, libraries, folders, pages and sites.
- It provides authentication and authorization mechanisms to ensure access to users through different levels of permissions.
- To monitor and manage centrally.
- It supports implementation in intranet and extranet environments, as well as updates (version) gradual and site.
- Site Model. It gives the user a consistent experience for browsing and templates (or definitions) site as well as the possibility of developing their own.
- It is a scalable platform because it is possible to develop custom applications that integrate with SharePoint.
We can define collaboration as the process in which two or more people work together to achieve the same goals. This collaboration involves sharing knowledge, information and stay in close communication.
Through SharePoint collaboration service oriented web for interdisciplinary work, it provides the environment to create workspaces and publishing information in them from Internet platform is offered.
The collaboration features of WSS 3.0 are:
- Online Presence. It gives users the ability to communicate with his team synchronously or in real time.
- Team Sites. It is a definition of workplace for collaboration among employees through libraries, lists and web pages.
- They are open web sites whose web pages can be edited by multiple users or collaborators via web browser, easily.
- Also called log or journal, is a regularly updated website that collects chronological articles from one or more authors, with the possibility that the reader post comments.
- Web Parts. They are modular and reusable components that can be installed on SharePoint pages to display different types of information, content and data Lists and Libraries. These components can be modified or edited from the panel of tools in the web browser.
- Discussion Board. It is a means of asynchronous meeting, where different people talk about a topic of common interest. It is done in groups and is based on a content of interest that causes a “discussion” or informal discussion led by a moderator, in order to meet the group’s opinion about it. They have different tools for moderation, approval and administration of comments.
- Issue tracking. It provides tools for tracking team tasks and problems.
- Contact list. Can store data and information on team members, centrally in a list.
- Integration features. WSS integrates naturally with all Microsoft products. The most common are: Microsoft Office, SharePoint Designer, Microsoft Exchange, Active Directory, among others.
Points and common questions
Dynamics CRM and SharePoint integrated for better capture leads
Using CRM now can not only retain customers but to make more effective marketing, in addition to customize campaigns, measure results and track potential customers. Not only is the service and improve customer responsiveness, but also, do it more efficiently and orderly manner.
Although it is the project of Microsoft achieve this integration in a short-term future, for now wander far from each other (of course the SharePoint is what we call document management and CRM management convenient attached files ).
It seems highly recommended moving the document management Dynamics CRM to SharePoint (either the Foundation version, Server or Office 365) to the extent that you can, is simple technically and brings a torrent of functional possibilities and power processes, thanks to own strengths that would add SharePoint document management (and more if we include BPM component as Nintex by the way).
Should we always do document management?
It is also true that this will only make sense if effectively in CRM or XRM processes involving the exchange of documents, approval, rating or any other man-document, in addition to the typical tasks, alerts, notifications, integration with other systems interaction, etc. or if we give an alternative door to documents involved in CRM or XRM entry processes.